Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Thankful for Thanksgiving

I'm a first generation American, and Proud to be one! The only times I feel out of place, is during the holidays meant for families. You see, all I have for "family" is my mom, dad and brother. This also means that the holiday of "Thanksgiving" or Turkey Day, holds little to no significance to my family. By significance, I am of course referring to the significance we have been raised defining: Pilgrims, Mayflower, Indians, Corn, Turkey, Pumpkin Pie, eating till you burst the seams with all your family.

We grow old, we lead busy lives, and we no longer need to hear or act out the story of Thanksgiving. To me, the holiday's significance has become a yearly reminder as a time come back to family and reflect on all that we are thankful for, which is probably the true heart of the day. My family and I spent this Thursday cleaning house and I did 6 loads of laundry (obviously a college student with no quarters). But I spent the whole week leading up to the day thinking about friends, and all the little things in life that I am oh so so thankful for. Late night phone calls, chocolate cake, Family Dinner Night with friends, rolling on the floor laughing until your stomach hurts, and the opportunity to live another day to experience all those things over and over again.

And so I wonder...why do we celebrate this day only once a year? In an ideal world, everyday would be Thanksgiving (and I'm not just saying that out of my passion for pumpkin and pecan pie), but I am so thankful for the yearly reminder Thanksgiving Day brings to us.

*don't worry....we celebrated T-Day on Friday, had the feast with friends and it was good!

No comments: